Sunday 31 August 2014

The Local Recipe Contest


    The 100 mile diet is still in our group vocabulary.  It was a revolutionary idea that is only revolutionary because it has been lost in the last 100 years.  Eat local, buy local.  Back in our grand- parents / great- grandparents day if you had spoken to them excitedly about this "new" concept to eat food that have been produced locally, they would have been sending a telegram to the sanitarium to have you committed.  It was not until after the second world war that we as a society were able to purchase foods grown in far away places.  Up until that point if you or your neighbours did not make it, you did not eat it, it was just that simple.  Over the years we have forgotten this simple concept.
    This September 28 Tweed will be trying a revolutionary concept of their own,  re-introduce people to the amazing, locally grown foods.  We live in a rural community surrounded by farms, and yet many of us purchase our meat and produce from other regions, sometimes even other countries.  Why?  This September with the help of local celebrity chefs, Tweed is going to turn the area's taste buds spinning.  Each chef will team up with a local farmer and create a dish that best matches that meat/ produce.  The best part yet, we get to sample it!  We get to eat food created by a master chef, without having to travel to the city, without having to get dressed up.  The best part is this event costs a paltry $10.00 admission.

  

    To celebrate this idea, The Our Backyard Feast From Farm organizers have created a fun contest.  It's easy.  Simple submit your family favourite recipe using ingredients that you have either grown yourself or have purchased in the municipality of Tweed.  Please include the food source.
For example you may have noticed the picture at the top of this blog, that picture is creamed corn.  This is corn season, beautiful, glorious corn season.  I purchased sweet corn from "The Walker's Corn Stand" to make this easy side dish.

Creamed Corn

12 cobs of corn                                                               1/4 cup of butter (I used Stirling Creamery)
1/4 cup of flour                                                                2 cups of cream (you could use milk)
lots of salt and pepper                                                      1 tsp chicken bouillon

    I began by cutting the corn off of the cob and boiling it for about 10 minutes in salted water.  I then strained the corn.  In the pot that I had cooked the corn in I melted my butter (the corn was straining in the sink).  When the butter was completely melted I poured in my flour, and chicken bouillon and whisked it together, then I added my two cups of cream (which I purchased from the Ivanhoe Cheese Factory), I used 10% but you can use whatever suites your tastes.  I whisked the butter, flour, bouillon and milk together over medium heat until they were a nice thick sauce.  I took it off the stove top.  I then took my now strained corn and poured 3/4 of it into my food processor.  I just put it on pulse for a few seconds.  I wanted to break the corn up a little, but still be able to recognize it as corn.  
    The now chopped corn was poured into the cream sauce on the stove.  I mixed them together and added lots of salt and pepper to taste.  Done!  That's it pretty easy, very delicious.

   If you want to be a part of this great contest, get your recipes in quick because the Farm From Feast is galloping up on us quickly.  Remember to include your recipe pictures are not necessary, but are a nice touch.  Please include where you got the produce / meat that you used for your recipe.  Send your recipe to rhardesty@tweed.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment